Sorry, it took me some time to get organized and find time to work on
this problem.

i have NOOOOO idea whether this will help your situation, but i DID
discover what i think solves the non-displaying SELECT list problem in
IE. Using the IE8 JS debugger, controls.js fails at line ~841:

    this._controls.editor.update('');

because at line ~766, the SELECT object is created by the native
createElement method, but is not Prototype extended:

    var list = document.createElement('select');
    list.name = this.options.paramName;
    list.size = 1;
    this._controls.editor = list;

i changed the last line shown above to:

    this._controls.editor = $(list);

and IE started displaying the list. i couldn't tell you why Firefox
manages to get by that little slip.

i did try out your test pages and saw some of the incorrect behaviors.
Unfortunately, i can't really dig deep right now to help with that. i
wish you luck, and i'll post the fix above at Scriptaculous to