well, it's like fixing IE6 bugs. i mostly double-code functions like
form-checks that are
done pre-posting in javascript, to be checked again on server side
again for the case
javascript is turned off.

if you can't "double-code" some functions make sure the most important
work without
javascript, too. seperate necessary functions and effects you've done.
in most cases
it's no problem if some effects don't work, but make sure basic
functions like form-validations
or whatever you call basic-functionality on your project works with
javascript disabled.

on the other hand (really depends on your project) it's ok inform the
user that he has to turn
on javascript to make the site work.

i guess it's a matter of taste. i remember sites warning the user if
he used an old browser,
or sites that alert users that "this site is optimized for <insert
browser name> here". i prefer
sites that make use of standards and work on (nearly) all browsers.

turn off javascript, visit some sites you think are "state-of-art" and
see how they handle it :)

imho: have some kind of fallback and make sure basic
functionality/validations/checks work,
but don't care about visual effects working without javascript. just
my 10 cents.

--
Lars Schwarz
Heiligengeiststr. 26