Thanks for the advice every one.

T. J. Crowder,

I wonder if a div with style overflow:auto and a scrollbar on the side
could act similar to a frame.

I figured what makes things go wrong, but still not sure why.  I bring
up a lightbox similar to the one here:
http://particletree.com/features/lightbox-gone-wild/.
But, when I do an Ajax.Update of the lightbox div, and I have an
onclick on a button in that lightbox.  The code attached to that
button can longer access the global vars.

However, if my lightbox contains a div, and I update the inner div, I
can access the global vars from onclicks within the lightbox. At least
that's what it seems like is happening.  There may be something else
going on, I'm really not sure.

-d