Hi,
Thanks for all your help so far.
I've added the callback function so now have:
<SCRIPT type="text/javascript">
        // <![CDATA[
        Sortable.create('group1',{tag:'div',dropOnEmpty: true, containment:
sections,only:'lineitem',onUpdate:function() {
        new Ajax.Request("http://127.0.0.1/";, {
            method: "post",
            parameters: { data: Sortable.serialize("group1") },
            onComplete: function(response){alert(response)}
        Sortable.create('group2',{tag:'div',dropOnEmpty: true, containment:
sections,only:'lineitem',onUpdate:function(){alert(Sortable.serialize
("group2"))}});
        Sortable.create('group3',{tag:'div',dropOnEmpty: true, containment:
sections,only:'lineitem',onUpdate:function(){alert('change3')}});
        Sortable.create('page',{tag:'div',only:'section',handle:'handle'});
        // ]]>
  </SCRIPT>
with the response being [object XMLHttpRequest] although i haven't
actually programmed the Python to send a response, as there's is
nothing to send back, I'm only sending data to the server. (Just
thought - it's not compulsory to send a response is it?)
Using Firebug (btw - never seen it before but I like it:) ) it would
appear that while a post request is being made if I click on the post
tab it is just blank - does this mean that no data was sent?
Under the header tab I just get standard infomation, and under the
response tag I get:
null;
 /* !eval(new String('(' + this.header('X-JSON');)) */    null;
 /* !eval(new String('(' + this.header('X-JSON');)) */
In the javascript errors console I am getting a:
Error: no element found
Source File: http://127.0.0.1/
Line: 1
but am not sure if this is just due to me not sending a response.
Sorry for a bit of a bitty post, and thankyou for your help so far,
Paul
P.S. What I am doing at the minute is essentially the example
http://www.gregphoto.net/sortable/advanced/ with the AJAX added on top
P.P.S - The 301 response is only sent to regular form requests not
AJAX ones