Truly sorry, I forgot that the example I copied this out of was from
long ago, when Prototype 1.5 was new. Plus, when I translated it from
a very specific example to something more generic, I made some
mistakes (f.e. the element being extended is wrong).

http://pastie.org/396153

That's a fully working page example, works in the latest of everything.

Walter