I've tried out Apple's suggestions for implementing offline
applications, i.e. manifest file etc. in Safari 4. However, this
subsequently causes any XHR activity to show "Cancelled Opening Page"
in the status bar. Nothing further to be gleaned from the new Web
Inspector either.

In Firefox it's fine, and prompts to allow offline usage. Although
turning off airport still allows no offline usage.

I took the html tag manifest reference out, and Safari is fine again.

Strange, I've gone over everything about 4 times.