I would reccomend using the dom to be *safe*. For instance, in a
select box if you just try to add "<option>" tags into the "<select>"
container IE will not detect the new elements. you should use the
javascript add option methods.

In general both methods work, but i find using JS is sometimes safer.

I guess in general if its really small nothing is easier and faster
than assigning what you want to an elements.innerHTML. and in more
complex or sensitive cases it can depend.