Thanks for the feedback,

I appreciate it.    True, it would be nice to have a progress
indicator.  But I also said that the delay was not long, but long
enough to be of consequence.  Therefore, the progress indicator is not
an issue.

The issue is that the code is a modular response to a user click for
some web page functionality and the code module runs on with
processing w/o the data it needs to do the processing.

I found it funny that calling the Ajax.Request() twice in a row
provided just the right length of delay to get it right, but ...
that's a bandaid and sucks.

No, the only real solution here, is to split the module at the point
of the Ajax.Request() call  ( and it is a separate function - yes )
and create another module of the remainder.   Then,  call the
remainder wrapped in a setTimeout(). That actually works fine and
gives the required delay and further, control over how long the delay
should be ... with capability for handling the exception of not
getting the data from the call.

It seems a bit klugey to me to do it that way, but it's not the first
time I've seen how Javascript and HTML can be klugey.

I said that some people might consider it a bug, because I'd seen
posts on the web that decried 'Problems with Ajax'  that likely are
tied to not understanding that there is a delay involved in getting
stuff back from the server.

It is BTW and IMHO  appropriate for the Request to allow the code to
ramble on. All you have to do is consider a Web 2.0 that starts
several requests while loading to understand how important it is to
give the user something to do on the page while that stuff is
background loading ... then, perhaps, make it visible.  Who needs a
progress indicator,when you don't even have to make the loaded data
visible until you have it?   No data?  --  No Errors and just the page
missing whatever it was.   Wouldn't it be dumb to show a progress bar
and then get no data?

Anyhow,  I've found a solution and will progress from that.

Thanks again.

BearState