Prototype really really likes a standards-compliant page to work in --
that means you need a doctype because without one, you fail at the
first line. This isn't for any reasons of standardista purity, the
recommendation is there simply because when you mess with the DOM, you
need to start from a known position in order to get where you're
expecting to go.

WAlter