You are correct David. This is definitely an IE bug and I would be
looking to apply the workaround mentioned in that page. But here the
problem occurs only when prototype is being called within the jsp
page. I verified this by removing prototype from the jsp page which
had the problem.

This jsp page which has the problem does not uses any AJAX
functionality and we could get away with removing prototype being
called.  But this makes us vulnerable to any subsequent development
with both the functionality (a select option and AJAX)

I am not an expert with Ruby, Could you tell me which part of
Prototype.js code should I be hacking for finding the solution to the
problem.

Thanks in Advance.
Jose