On Mar 18, 11:02 am, Walter Lee Davis <wa...@wdstudio.com> wrote:
> Not to belabor the point, but as Tobie pointed out already, textarea
> elements don't **have** a value property to manipulate.

You've got your wires crossed - if you'd quoted what you were replying
to, you'd see that it was me who said that textarea elements don't
have an HTML value attribute.  That comment was prompted by the OPs
requirement for strict XHTML and my (incorrect) assumption that
setAttribute was being used.

DOM textarea elements *do* have a value property (see below).

> Any browser
> that appears to work when you do that is being kind to you,

And inadvertently complying with the W3C DOM 2 HTML specification
(apparently):

> and misleading you in the bargain.

Nope.

--