After reviewing the behavior of the control I'd say it reinforces the
idea that you should just set it up in a scrolling div and modify the
scroll property, this would approach would alleviate much of the
intense processing.  You could leverage the Effect.Tween[1] method to
handle most of the animation processing.

[1] http://wiki.github.com/madrobby/scriptaculous/effecttween

Oh and a +1 on the content of that film strip, wish my work was half
that interesting...

---

http://positionabsolute.net