I am using Ryan Johnson's excellent Control.Textarea toolbar widget on
a site. Since this site is quite dynamic, automatically assembling
forms around the database columns and their types, I am using $$
('textarea') to find any textareas, then Element.wrap to wrap them in
a div (for layout reasons with the Control) and then attaching the
Control to the textarea. My basic code looks like this:

        $$('textarea').each(function(elm){
                var wrap = Element.wrap(elm,'div',{'class':'wrap'});
                wrap.clonePosition(elm,{setHeight:false});
                wrap.setStyle({border:'none',padding:0});
                elm.setStyle({width:'100%'});
                new Control.TextArea.ToolBar.Markdown(elm);
        });

This works perfectly, except when it comes to the styles. In a further
bid to modularity, I put all of the Control-specific stuff in a
separate sheet, and included that in the head of the page. But it
didn't seem to work in either Safari or Firefox. Xyle scope went a
little further, and actually showed the elements as having the
properties they were supposed to have, but they just didn't look like
they should. (The toolbar is a styled UL, with background images to
make the buttons look nice.) It showed on screen in all three browsers
as a plain unstyled UL would.

On a whim, I put all of the styles from the Control stylesheet into my
main stylesheet and removed the link to the Control stylesheet. With
just that change -- going from two stylesheets to one -- everything
started working.

Both stylesheets were valid CSS, the page was valid XHTML Strict.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Thanks,

Walter