Hi,

Ajax.Updater does support scripts, but only inline (not external JS
files).  It uses Element#update[1] behind the scenes, which in turn
uses String#evalScripts[2]; more in the API pages for those.

FWIW, an alternate approach would be to return the data in JSON format
with flags on new users.  Code already on the page can interpret the
returned data and trigger the sound as necessary.

[1] http://prototypejs.org/api/element/update
[2] http://prototypejs.org/api/string/evalScripts

HTH,