On Mar 28, 7:55 am, "Russell Keith" <russell.ke...@aacreditunion.org>
wrote:
> I have an iframe and I am using the onbeforeunload to prevent data loss.
> What I need to do is set a variable called save to 0 after any change is
> made within the frame.
>
> I tried this but it doesn't work:
>
>             document.observe('change', function(){
>
>                         save=0
>
>             });

The change event doesn't bubble, so that won't work.

> How can I accomplish this task?  Is it possible to observe for any
> change made?

If a control's value is equal to its defaultValue, then it hasn't
changed.  That strategy accounts for the case where a user modifies
the value, but sets it back to its original value before submitting
the form.

You can attach a listener to the unload handler to check all form
controls to see which are different from their default value when the
form is submitted or the page closed - test it well, there are many
foibles with whatever solution you choose.

--
Rob