From: prototype-scriptaculous@googlegroups.com
[mailto:prototype-scriptacul...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Russell
Keith
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 10:12 AM
To: Prototype & script.aculo.us
Subject: [Proto-Scripty] need to call function from main script.

I have several of these inputs in a form:

<input sign="1" onKeyUp="verifySigner(this)" id="authSign1"
class="authBox" name="authSign1" type="text" maxlength="9" />

Everything works great.  What I need to do is update the input with a
stored value, that is easy enough:

$('authSign1').innerText = signer[1];

But I also need to fire the verifySigner() function and can't figure
this one out. I have tried several ways but I guess I am going about it
all wrong. I have tried:

$('authSign1').verifySigner();

verifySigner('authSign1');

verifySigner($('authSign1'));

My function, in its very basic for is as follows:

function verifySigner(elem){

            $('signer'+elem.sign).innerText= "Retrieving...";

            url = "pw.php?account="+elem.value;

            new Ajax.Request(url, {

                        method: 'post',

                        asynchronous: 'true',