If there's any way you can develop and test locally you will save a
TON of time. Depending on what server language you're using (PHP,
Ruby, etc), you should be able to setup a pretty basic dev environment
for testing the AJAX stuff. That way you won't need to upload any
files to a server until you are sure they are working.

Firefox & Firebug is pretty much all you will need for testing and
debugging.

My personal preference for coding almost anything is Textmate (Mac
only), Firefox + Firebug