Here's my issue, I have the following code:

$("description").observe('keyup', function(event){ text_counter
(500).bind(this); });

function text_counter(max_length){
    alert(this);
    var length = this.value.length;
    if (length > max_length){
        this.value = this.value.substring(0,max_length);
                length = max_length;
        }
    $(this.id+"_count").innerHTML = (max_length - length) + '
characters remaining';
}

Pretty simple, but I'm having a problem with "this" in the function
text_counter. For some reason "this" points to "object Window". Maybe
I'm just misunderstanding the bind() function, but from what I've read
this should work.

Much thanks for any help.