I created the following HTML file to test your function and get the
following errors:

1)  The file input element returns only the file's name, so I don't
see how your function could load the file in.

2) Under Safari 3 and later, I get a "TypeError: Result of expression
'xmlDoc.load' [undefined] is not a function." when your function
attempts to call xmlDoc.load()

3) Your function always returns null, under Firefox 3.0.8 and Safari 4
beta, presumably because it only has a file name, not the file path.
It does appear to work under Opera 9.51.  [all under OS X 10.5.6]

  <head>
    <title>Load File</title>
charset=UTF-8">
    <script src="../prototype.js"></script>
<script>
    function loadXMLFile(fileName) {
  var xmlDoc;
  // W3C compliant
  if (document && document.implementation &&
      document.implementation.createDocument ) {
    xmlDoc = document.implementation.createDocument("","",null);
  } else {
    // IE model
    try {
      xmlDoc = new ActiveXObject('Msxml2.DOMDocument');
    } catch( e){}
  }
  if (xmlDoc) {
    xmlDoc.async = false;
    try {
      var loadOK = xmlDoc.load(fileName);
    } catch(e) {
        alert(e);
  return loadOK? xmlDoc : null;
}

function doLoadFile() {
    var doc = loadXMLFile($F($("fileName")));
    alert(doc);
}
</script>
  </head>
      <h1>Load File</h1>
      <input type="button" value="Load" name="load" onclick='doLoadFile
()' />
      <input type="file" id='fileName' name="fileName" value=""
width="50" />