Yes, I understand what you've said. I was making it more convoluted
than need be.

wrapAjaxUpdater('showsomething.php', 'somediv', handleCompletion);  -
works correctly

wrapAjaxUpdater('showsomething.php', 'somediv', handleCompletion()); -
does not work because I'm calling the function, not passing a
reference to it.

In another situation, I need to pass parameters to the callback. So
would I do it this way?

var temp = handleCompletion(5)
wrapAjaxUpdater('showsomething.php?id=5', 'somediv', temp);