Well damn, it looks like the iterable.toArray() stuff has been in
there for quite some time. I looked back through all the versions of
prototype we have been using for the last year and this method has
remained mostly the same. I'm now thinking this has been buggy code in
our application for a while and we are just now discovering it because
Prototype is throwing that exception when a string is passed in to $A
(). Looks like this is one regression bug that has really helped us
out.

Hope I didn't waste too much of your time.

-justin