Ohhh -- that makes quite a lot of sense if you think about it.

serialize() uses encodeURIComponent() under the hood, and the spec
says that it will always encode the string as UTF-8, regardless of
source. I'm not sure what your options are if you're doing a form
submission, other than recognizing the content-type on the server and
using iconv or another conversion utility to make it match your
database.

Walter