I don't have a problem with neither really. I personally love
Prototype as it is. It's just that sometimes I wish I could just
cherry-pick bits out of it when I don't need the whole library. And
since my knowledge of Javascript is decent but limited (I'm definitely
no core Prototype developer) I've never been able to do it when
trying.

pulpjs is a step in that direction (fine-grained modularization)
apparently, but it doesn't have that comforting name brand effect on
me.

So it was just wishful thinking in the form of a question.