Hi,

> I can really exclude an error in the server-side code.

Your code, perhaps, but not the entire server side of the
interaction.  "500 Internal Server Error" is a _server-side_ error.
That's not happening in Prototype, or in the browser at all.
Something on the client-side may (or may not) be triggering it, but
it's happening on the server.  There should be details about the error
in the server's log -- what went wrong, why, etc.  If there aren't,
look at the logging configuration of your server, it really should be
recording the detail of 500s.

Other than finding out from the server why it failed, like Diodeus all
I can suggest is further and more intensive debugging.  For instance,
use Firefox+Firebug[1] and look at the requests and responses in
Firebug's Net tab to see whether there's some difference in the
request that fails vs. the ones that don't.

[1] http://www.getfirebug.org

Good luck,