Yes, it says It is ported from Scriptaculous here:
http://mochikit.com/doc/html/MochiKit/Sortable.html

I am using this code in some portal so I can say its tested.

The only bad thing I've found so far with this sortable lists (and is
still giving me multiple headaches) is they way DND dont respect z-
index ordering.
Look at the example i posted earlier, http://www.mfacil.com/overlappingDivs.html

Those boxes are draggable and the inner items are sortable, so drag 1
list over the other and try dragging some of the sortables, you will
notice how this stupid stuff flickers between both lists. The lists
resizes when the sortable is removed or attached, changing the
dropzone back and forth for each pixel you move.
Any z-index hack or whatever I've tried so for didnt fix this. Only
ghosting seems to counter it, but ghosting is NOT what i want, i want
them to feel real, solid.

I've been searching for something to fix this but I just cant find
anything. The closer I got was some dude (who wont reply) saying this
functionality should come out of the box and that he had implemented
this very custom hack that wont work for others.

Please some one help me, any small leads as to what might be this
guy's custom hack are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Bruno