Be sure you're doing this operation after the document has loaded.
Attempting to access/modify DOM elements before the "load" event has
fired will certainly cause issues.

window.onload  = function(){
   var c =new Element('input', {'type':'text', 'id': 'var1Value' ,
'value':'var1 default value'});
   $('uiElements').insert(c);

http://positionabsolute.net