On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 8:17 PM, T.J. Crowder <t...@crowdersoftware.com> wrote:
>> Sure, after figuring out why exceptions are disappearing, and then
>> figuring out how to get around that all-encompassing exception block
>> surrounding the responder.  It's a lot of digging to get reasonable
>> default behavior.
>
> Or, you know, read the documentation. ;-)

The documentation explains how to set exception handlers within AJAX.
It does not explain that if you don't set one, exceptions will be
silently ignored; to figure out why my callbacks were silently doing
nothing I had to trace the source.  Nor does it explain how to force
exceptions to be propagated normally; delaying the exception in a
defer() is hardly obvious.

> No, seriously, we'll have to agree to disagree on this.  I'm just one
> counterpoint to your statement that "most people" would expect
> something else.  I wouldn't.  I expected, and quickly found when I
> started using Prototype's Ajax stuff, exactly what's there.  I find
> the default behavior quite reasonable.

You find the default behavior of silently ignoring all exceptions
reasonable?  Seriously?

Please explain why it should not propagate exceptions normally when no
error handlers are set.  You havn't given any rational explanation.
If you're using exception callbacks, then this has zero impact on you.

--
Glenn Maynard