This is the smallest piece of custom JS thats NOT working. Is the
method of DOM reference im using wrong? Im using the this.up and
this.down methods all over my custom JS.

Ruby/Rails code

<h4>Filter Tickets</h4>
                <form id='filter' class='filter' action="/tickets" method="get">
                        <%= hidden_field_tag :commit, "Filter"%>
                        <%= select_tag "status",
options_from_collection_for_select
(Status.find(:all), :id, :status,selected_status(params
[:status])), :onchange => "this.up('.filter').submit()" %>
                </form>

Resulting HTML page source

<h4>Filter Tickets</h4>
                <form id='filter' class='filter' action="/tickets" method="get">
        <input id="commit" name="commit" type="hidden" value="Filter" />
        <select id="status" name="status" onchange="this.up('.filter').submit
()"><option value="1">Open</option>
<option value="2">Accepted</option>
<option value="3">In Progress</option>
<option value="4">Completed</option>
<option value="5" selected="selected">All</option>
                </form>

HELP!