Hi Tobie,

THanks a lot for the replies!

I ended up using $(this).up('.filter').submit(); and it works like a
charm and its not as expansive as what Vladimir suggested too :).
I walked through my custom JS and figured out where exactly it broke.

There are places in my JS where i do something like

chem_mark = parseFloat($('student_chem_mark').innerHTML) || 0.00;

OR initializing a float variable with 0 to calculate some stuff and
then INSERTING THE SAME variable back into the page

avg_percent = 0.00
..
$('student_avg').value = avg_percent.

In both these cases, IE works only when I use "var chem_mark =" or
"var avg_percent =". I dont know the whole idea behind it but it just
works now :D. Any idea what the story is behind it?
also, i dont have to mention 'var ' when I do the following

chem_mark = parseFloat($('student_chem_mark').value) || 0.00;

for this of course, 'student_chem_mark' has to be an input field.