Hi jk,

the mouse position could be retrieve from the event object with
Event.pointerX and Event.pointerY.
so you first need to observe the mousedown event, and observe the
mousemove event. you could get from this event the the mouse position.
Don't forget when the mousedown happend to observe the mouseup event
to stopObserving the mousemove when the mouse button is released.

an excellent code that work this way is the dragging management in
prototype UI. go to the
http://github.com/xilinus/prototypeui/blob/bd14194a011bdc60796135e583045fea5ba7eb6f/src/util/drag.js
to see it in action.

--