To complete my previous post , it seeam that  when you use
Effect.multiple([elt_id, ...]) and when one of the elt_id is not found
on the page a fatal js error is thrown on IE. This "error on the page"
disable all other scriptaculous functions you could launch after that
on the same webpage.

Doesn't occur on Firefox. Any help appreciated :-) !!

Nico