This may be your problem with IE6. I have heard apocryphal comments
that dom:loaded is currently broken (fixed in the latest edge version)
in certain flavors of IE. See if switching to

Event.observe(window,'load',...

fixes things for you in this browser.

If so, you will be saved by the Prototype as soon as the latest RC
becomes the new stable release.

Walter