Hi,

> This does bring into question in my mind the order of onclick vs.
> forum submission.  right now the 2 buttons i've been testing this with

FWIW, I think the question you have to ask is why you're seeing this
behavior but I'm not, and moreover, I haven't heard of it either --
this suggests there's something very strange going on specific to your
page.  At first I thought it was form submission too, but a quick
check with IE6 showed that I got the alert before the form was
submitted.  Here's the page I was testing with.[1]  As shown there, it
will alert and then submit the form to blank.html, but there's some
commented-out code to prevent the form submission.  Either way, I got
the click alert.

[1] http://pastie.org/487167

HTH,