Hi sshah,

One simple question, when you say <<
However, the problem is
maintaining this information across requests
>>
one question is comming: Do you AJAX?? or not ??

If, as I think, it's no, I think the problem is much more complicate
than storing the object in a cookie.Because I'm not sure that
deserializing the cookie information will give you the DOM-object
where you can use the close() method (as a n exemple). But I can be
wrong, in fact I never try :((

But what you could be able to do is opening a "private window" that
will only contain the saved window Objects. So using the method I give
you, you'll just need to save the saved name of each windows and when
the page need the object, just request it to the "private window".

If folks have a better idea :))

--
david

On 29 mai, 14:02, Suneet Shah <suneetshah2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David
>
> Thanks for the reply. You are right that we can save the window variable
> in an array and that works just fine.  However, the problem is
> maintaining this information across requests.
> ie. I can open the window on 1 page and click on the "close window" link
> a few requests later.
>
> Is there a way to keep the windowList across requests? If so, that would
> solve the problem. I was trying to searlize the object and store it as a
> cookie to get around this.
>
> Thanks
> Suneet
>
> david wrote:
> > Hi sshah,
>
> > I've never done that, but isn't there a way to save the window name
> > instead and close a windows depending on it's name after??
> > That could do something like that:
>
> > var windowHandle = "";
> > var windowList={};
> > var windowNumber=1;
>
> >  function openWindow2(URL) {
> >        var windowId='capswin'+(windowNumber++)
> >         windowHandle = window.open
> > (URL,windowId,'toolbar=no,resizable=1')
> > //        var windowStr = Object.toJSON(windowHandle);
> >         windowList[windowId]=windowHandle
> >         document.cookie = "iamWindowManager=" + windowId;
> >  }
>
> > and so you could remove the window by checking its name, get the
> > window object corresponding (which is saved in the windowList
> > parameter) and close the window when needed??
>
> > --
> > david
>
> > On 28 mai, 23:39, sshah <suneetshah2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Hello
>
> >> I need to serialize an object to JSON, but the following code returns:
>
> >> Stack overflow at line: 547
>
> >> var windowHandle = "";
>
> >>  function openWindow2(URL) {
> >>         windowHandle = window.open(URL,'capswin','toolbar=no,resizable=1')
> >>         var windowStr = Object.toJSON(windowHandle);
> >>         document.cookie = "iamWindowManager=" + windowStr;
> >>  }
>
> >> How can I serialize the wiindowHandle object?
>
> >> I am trying to maintain a list of window objects in the cookie so that
> >> I can close all open windows when the main windows closes. If there is
> >> a better way to do this, please let me know.
>
> >> thanks in advance
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Prototype & script.aculo.us" group.
To post to this group, send email to prototype-scriptaculous@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
prototype-scriptaculous+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/prototype-scriptaculous?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to