What about when all that inline markup is output from a loop...lots of
rendered source code that will likely look like spaghetti? The markup
created by my example is just:
(i've changed "record" to "name" in the example)

<li class="clicker"><a id="a_001" name="001" href="javascript:;">Mystery
Character #001</a>

Furthermore, it takes on average 100ms to load and render the initial data
from the server and between 10-20ms to click-load-process the second server
call. Numbers aside - that's super fast, but profiling and net monitoring
from one server to one client machine isnt proof of anything.

Anyway... glad we could open that up to more conversation.

Rick