Ignore me I was having a brain lapse... fire bug lead me astray not
showing me the updated attributes when .disable() was applied .  a
quick test pointed me in the right direction.

 var ck = elm.getAttribute('disabled');  is true/false/null depending
on browser when set by .disable() which is what i was missing.