Sure. You have to use a className for the handles, since you
presumably have more than one of them. You cannot have the same ID
more than once in any given page. If you do, you get either
unpredictable results or nothing, depending on how pedantic the
browser or code is feeling that particular day. Also, the parameter is
named handle, not handles.

Try this:

        <ul class="sortlist" id="list_to_sort">
                <li id="item_1" class="sortlist">Item Name - Date - Detail -
                </li>
        </ul>

<script language="JavaScript">
Sortable.create("list_to_sort", {
        element:'li', /*this is the default, but I'm adding it to show you
how this should be written*/
        handle:'thehandle',
        onUpdate: function() {
                new Ajax.Request("updateRowOrder.cfm", {
                        method: "post",
                        parameters: {
                                data: Sortable.serialize("list_to_sort")
</script>

Walter