I try to make dnd for pieces on Shogi board. My approach is:
when a user starts to drag a piece, I make these fields on the board
that the piece can move to droppable.
Shogi board is 9x9 DIVs structure so there could be about 81
droppables.
Dragged element is an IMG.

I made an example with 76 droppables (http://shogitools.appspot.com/
html/asb_example1.html - when you drag the piece beside the board).
The code works well on FireFox, Safari, Opera and Chrome, but on
Internet Explorer it works veeery slow.
(when there are less dropables - when you drag the pieces that are on
the board - the performance is quite decent)

I don't know if its my code, scriptaculous' or evil IE. It's probably
subject for another post.

What I want now is some workaround.

I thought I make one big DIV (covering the whole board) as a droppable
and then when the piece is dropped I would get it's position relative
to the DIV.
This way I would know on which field the piece should be put.

Could anyone please suggest me, how to get the 'drop-positon'? Is such
an information stored in event?

Thanks in advance,
fat bold cyclop