Hi,

> Is Ajax.Request somehow queuing up user events and refiring them after
> the request completes?

No, it isn't.

On IE7, it sounds as though your curtain div isn't where you think it
is in the z order or something like that, and separately the click of
the link seems to be being held up by the processing of the request.
(Are you talking to a server that only processes a single request in a
given session at a time?  Search the group for "concurrent requests"
or "simultaneous requests" for details, there've been a couple of
recent threads on that.)

You say you're using an onclick handler returning false (e.g., a DOM0
handler).  Have you tried using Element#observe[1] and Event#stop[2]
instead?  I don't know that it would make a difference, but it's more
up-to-date and may step around whatever the issue is.  This stops and
eats clicks on a div called 'curtain':

    $('curtain').observe('click', function(event) {
        event.stop();
    });

[1] http://prototypejs.org/api/element/observe
[2] http://prototypejs.org/api/event/stop