Sweet, that works. Kind of.

Sadly, if you are in the middle of a dom:loaded callback...
document.loaded is still false. It's not true until after all the
dom:loaded callbacks have been called.

And it's if you are IN a dom:loaded callback, and you then try to add
another dom:loaded listener -- that's what really makes Prototype/
Firefox go all screwy.

I kinda of agree with the later commenter that Prototype itself ought
to take care of adding a dom:loaded callback at odd times -- if you
add it after dom:loaded, it should just execute immediately. If you
add it in the middle of a dom:loaded callback, it should just be added
onto the end of the queue. But, sadly, that's not what happens. If you
call it in the middle of a dom:loaded callback, things go screwy. If
you call it after dom:loaded, your callback will never get executed.
Hmm.