This is sort of redundant to TJ, but I'm going to throw it out there... I'm
not familiar with salesforce development, but firebug has a number of
add-ons that make life so much easier allowing you to debug your server side
code right in firebug:

http://getfirebug.com/extensions/index.html

I use FirePHP and FirePython

Rick