The file form control itself is a pain to style and is kind of an
eyesore. But it can be hidden and other controls used (say, a styled
button or link that activates the click action of the file control) to
obtain the file path value that the form control will upload. Flash
isn't the only way to "Ajax" a file, but it's probably the easiest.
IFRAME is another option which doesn't require the Flash plugin, but
does usually requires more hand coding.

A quick Google search(http://www.google.com/search?q=ajax+file+upload)
brought up this: http://www.webtoolkit.info/ajax-file-upload.html
among others.
Essentially, after the IFRAME form submits, the reloaded page of the
frame disaplays info about the upload (GMail-esque).
-joe t.