Its doing the second ajax updater (the one with the alert in it) regardless
of the flag. It is showing the text up because you are in effect putting a
break point in it with the alert();

I would look at where the "flaglast" variable is set and make sure it is
false in the  first instance. You might also want to typecast it to make
sure its boolean:
var flaglast=false;

Ajax code {.............}
// Notice the 3 equals)
if(flaglast===true) {
do something

}

or you could remove the else if and use a switch or just "ifs"

if(flag10===true) {
.. do stuff
}
if(flaglast===true) {