hi

I had a similar problem when I moved to apache2 on ubuntu from win 2000
server.
 try to add the line

AddDefaultCharset Off

to the site virtual directory
thats because in the new linux apache2 versions, the conf file is seperate
to many files and in one of them which its name is 'cahrset' if I remember
correct it sets a default charset for all sites in that apache2 server.

hope it helped

Yuval