From: "T.J. Crowder" <t...@crowdersoftware.com>
To: "Prototype & script.aculo.us" <prototype-scriptaculous@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2009 11:17 AM
Subject: [Proto-Scripty] Re: Finding the previous element which was clicked

Hi,

I'll be interested to see the answers to this question, I'm sure
there's a better way than the way I've done it previously.

I needed to do something along those lines, keep track of which text
box the user was in before they clicked a button.  I ended up keeping
track of the most recent text box in the form to get focus.  I wasn't
using Prototype, but in Prototype it would look something like this:

// At some appropriate scope
var lastFocussed;

// In an init function, such as when DOM ready, or when you've
rendered the form
$('myform').
    select('input[type=text], input[type=password], textarea,
select').
    invoke('observe', 'focus', function() {
        lastFocussed = this;
});

That will track which text, password, textarea, or select box last had
focus.  Note that it doesn't track radio buttons or checkboxes; you
may want to do that, just add to the list of things being tracked in
the selector.

HTH,