I agree with Colin, but I guess in your case, it looks like you are
parsing some kind of a service response ..
Just a bit of explanation, it's only normal that your code breaks when
you set XHTML as a DOCTYPE since XHTML only identifies and accepts a
list of valid HTML elements (and your XML document ain't one of them)
and the rest would just be ignored. Which brings me to the question,
why embedding your responseXML in your HTML? I haven't worked on
front-end XML in a long while now, but I am sure that is not the way
to go.

I can't advice anymore, just you need to do a bit of reading, probably
start with
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Migrate_apps_from_Internet_Explorer_to_Mozilla#How_to_handle_XML

cheers

--