Olla,

all praises to Mr Fine :)
You pointed me in the right direction. I found a workaround, which is
fishy but works in IE7+8 and FF2+3

function getGhost(objectId)
{
        var helper = $(objectId); // Das ist das Orginal
        helper.setAttribute("id","isGhosted");

        var ghost = $(objectId); // Der Ghost

        var helper = $("isGhosted");
        helper.setAttribute("id",objectId);

        return ghost;
}

The idea is simple. I catch the Element by Id (which is always the
original) and alter the id. The second call returns the ghost, 'cause
now ist's the only element with this id.
To clean up you just have to reset the id to the original and return
the pointer to the ghost