Hi,

You're looking for the evalScripts option of Ajax.Updater[1], which in
turn uses Element#update[2] to update the target container, which in
turn (!) uses String#evalScripts[3] to eval the scripts.  Scripts must
be inline in script tags, they cannot have src attributes loading
external scripts.  If you want to do that, there's an article[4] on
the unofficial wiki that talks about how to do that.

[1] http://prototypejs.org/api/ajax/updater
[2] http://prototypejs.org/api/element/update
[3] http://prototypejs.org/api/string/evalScripts
[4] http://proto-scripty.wikidot.com/prototype:how-to-load-scripts-dynamically

FWIW, I suggest giving the API a good front-to-back read.  Takes about
an hour, and will save you lots of time and trouble in the long run.

HTH,