I suspect you probably want to get the radio *group* by name, and then
see which (if any) of its members is currently checked.

$$('input[name="yourRadioGroup"]:checked').first() will get the
element or false. To explicitly get the value, try this:

var myValue = ($$("input[name="yourRadioGroup"]:checked").first()) ?
        $$("input[name="yourRadioGroup"]:checked").first().getValue() : '';

Walter