I'm correctly seeing ann exception thrown in:

Safari 4.0.2
FF 3.0.13

However, it's no longer the case in FF 3.5.1.

It seems that the issue isn't related to the dom:loaded event in
particular, but to any fired custom event.

Here's a reduced testcase:

        <head>
                <script type="text/javascript" src="http://
prototypejs.org/assets/2009/6/16/prototype.js"></script>
                <script type="text/javascript">
                document.observe('foo:bar', function() { throw
'foo' });
                document.fire('foo:bar');
                </script>
        </head>